Yesterday, I posted a quick though on the Mockingjay Part 1 movie. It was just my overall opinion, saying that I loved it. Now, I got to sit down and just write all my thoughts on the movie, and compare it to the book. THIS WILL BE PACKED WITH SPOILERS, SO DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN THE MOVIE YET! So, let’s get started….
First off, I just want to thank Francis Lawrence, for ruining my life with this movie. It was absolutely amazing. These last two movies have stepped it up a lot, and I can’t wait to see what is in store for us in part 2! I have seen many, many complaints about splitting the movie into two parts, and I don’t know why this is even an actual complaint. By splitting the movie, we get to see more of Katniss coping with everything that has happened. There was quite a bit of action in this movie, but can you imagine how much there will be in the next movie? It’ll be phenomenal.
Speaking of Katniss, that brings to the characters and actors in this movie. Jennifer Lawerence and Josh Hutcherson definitely showed their talent in this one. The scene where they filming the propo in district 8 and when she realized how Snow was using her during the Cat flashlight game, Jen was able to capture the emotion perfectly. Even though Peeta wasn’t in the movie that much, I think Josh really takes the award for one of the best actors in this movie. For the short amount of time we see him, we see him showing all the emotion and pain just through his facial features. There is a point where Peeta is seeing Katniss on the screen and with one face we see flashes of confusion, pain, love, everything all at once. Besides these two characters, I also loved President Coin, Finnick, and Boggs. Especially Boggs, I really loved Boggs!
One of the best things about Mockingjay for me, is how we get to really explore the setting more. We get to go into some new districts, and are overall setting is completely new to us. It’s very different than being in the arena for most the movie, and I loved how they represented each place differently. Also, the effects in this movie were just amazing. I can’t get over how cool District 13 looks.
The Hunger Games Trilogy, to me at least, is one of the best movie adaptions to hit the big screen. Some of the lines are word for word from the book (which I know cause I read the book again the day before seeing the movie.) I loved how some of the littlest things were incorporated into the movie. Here are some of the main differences that people are talking about, and here are my opinions on them.
- Effie in District 13: I think we can all agree that this was a very smart move to make for this movie. Effie has been a fan favorite since the first movie came out, and it would make no sense to bring the prep team instead of Effie. She brought some comic relief, and she filled the prep teams roll, so I think this change was the best move.
- Showing Peeta’s capture: This scene was actually one of my favorites. I loved how it flipped back and forth from Finnick to the capture. I’m glad Katniss was there watching it all instead of talking in the propo (because even in the book it said that Katniss’ spill wasn’t as impacting as Finnick’s) Also, we got to see Snow taunting Katniss, and while this wasn’t in the book, I thought it really brought out Katniss’ emotions for both her two boys possibly dying.
- I KILL SNOW: This is the one thing that I thought could possibly lead to some problems. While listing her conditions , she doesn’t say that she gets to kill Snow which SPOILER: becomes pretty important at the end when she decides to kill Coin SPOILER OVER. However, I think, that this will be resolved later and may even have more of an impact.
- Peeta Warning District 13: At this scene, the capitol is showing Peeta when he warns the district saying that there is an attack. In the book, while it was flashing from Katniss to Peeta, you hear screams and blood splatters on the screen. Intially, I thought this could be a possible ending depending on how much they stretched it out. However, it didn’t take away much so I thought it was fine.
With that being said, my main prediction for this movie was it ending right at the choking scene. I was so close! There was that black screen for a second and I thought I was right, but thankfully the movie came back on. And let me just say, that scene was intense. Peeta looks absolutely terrifying his makeup was done amazingly. However, I don’t think it was as intense as the ending scene where we see him absolutely going crazy and writhing in a bed he is chained to.
Overall I absolutely loved this movie. Some of my favorite parts where..
- The Hanging Tree whole montage (brilliant, the song is still stuck in my head)
- Sober Haymitch being awesome
- Katniss not being able to act in the first propo
- The District 8 hospital buring scene (gave me goosebumps)
- Effie complaining about jumpsuits
- Seeing other districts rebel (aka the scary fast tree climbers of district 7)
Oh, I just can’t wait to see this next movie! I’m looking forward to more crazy Peeta, Johanna, and just total epicness. So what were your favorite parts? Are you happy with the split movie? Tell me!