Candor: quality of being open; frankness
People in Candor value the truth and honesty. They are known to say whatever comes to their mind and don’t care how it sounds. These people are not easily offended and don’t want to be lied to. Candor believes the world would be better if there was no dishonesty.
- Dishonesty is rampant. Dishonesty is temporary. Dishonesty makes evil possible.
- Dishonesty leads to suspicion. Suspicion leads to conflict. Honesty leads to peace.
- Truth makes us transparent. Truth makes us strong. Truth makes us in extricable.
Physical Appearance: Black and White
Leader: No elected leader, but JAck Kang acts as a represetnative.
BOOK I CHOSE
This was an easy choice because truth is even in the title of this book. Nothing but the Truth deals with honesty and freedom a lot. I personally didn’t like this book at all, but it was the first one that came to mind for some reason!
Picking a particular book about truth is very hard. There are many books where Characters learn the truth about something such as Cath learning thr truth about College or Percy discovering the gods, but those didn’t really fit into this category as well. I decided to pick individual characters that had similar attributes to Candor people.
CHARACTER I CHOSE
Chubs from The Darkest Minds
This was the very first peson that came to me when I saw honesty. Chubs is cosntantly saying thigns without filtering them through his brain. This causes some characters to get mad at him, even though they know he wasn’t trying to be harsh. While reading this book I even thought about how Chubs was like this, and reminded of Christina in Divergent. He just says what comes to mind, which is sometimes good, but most of the time causes some problems.
Some other characters I thought about were…
- Johanna Mason from Catching Fire: I love her as a character because of her frankness. She is very funny and definitely speaks the truth.
- Augustus Waters from TFIOS: He is very honest about his feelings for Hazel, and is constantly telling her about his affection for her. Not many ya charatcers are like this, so I thought he was a good example.